6 Ways to keep a dog from eating the cats food. I like the last reason.
I am a cat. And while I love my bodyguard Martha, a dog, I don’t like when she eats my food. I have asked her several times to stop eating the cat food, but she won’t listen. Mrs. Hodges found a way to stop the dog from eating my food. It is reason number six.
Dogs like to eat cat food. Actually, I don’t think the dog knows it is eating the cats food. The dog probably thinks the cat is eating the dogs food. Dogs think all food on the floor is theirs. And perhaps they think food on the table is theirs too.
Martha, is on a diet. She is limited to two cups of dog food a day, as ordered by the veterinarian. She is a little overweight. However, she eats more than two cups of food a day, as she will eat any cat food we have not finished.
When I say we, I mean me and the three other cats. Not me and Mrs. Hodges. Mrs. Hodges does not eat cat food.
There are several ways to keep a dog from eating the cats food.
1. Feed the cats on top of the kitchen table. The dog can not reach the top of the table, unless of course you have a jumper, and then this won’t work. I have trouble getting up on the table as I am eleven, so I don’t like this method.
2. Put the dog in its kennel while the cats are eating, and then put away any cat leftovers so the dog can’t eat them. I don’t like this idea, as I like to graze on my food during the day. Sort of like a cow in the pasture.
3. Ask the dog, “Please doggie, don’t eat the cats food.” This is not very effective. A please with a dog rarely works. See number five for training your dog.
4. You can look on google, “How to keep a dog from eating the cats food.” But, be careful, because this article might appear first, and you will be in an endless loop of asking and being directed here.
5. Train your dog not to eat the cats food. Don’t ask, command. You could bark at your dog, or you could say, “No.” Say it like you mean it, firm but not mean. No hitting the dog. Actually, never hit a dog for any reason. Ever. Or a cat.
6. The best way to keep a dog from eating the cats food is a pet gate with a smaller door for the cat to get through. Perhaps this should say, “How to keep a dog, who is bigger than a cat, from eating the cats food. A little dog could fit through the small door in the gate.
Mrs. Hodges bought a Carlson 0930PW Extra-Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door from Amazon.
Martha is not happy.
Oh, and the most important thing.
Remember to close the gate.
Mrs. Hodges fed us this morning at 5:00 a.m. Mrs. Hodges was so kind to leave her bedroom door open last night, she usually closes it. All four cats came in to wake her up. I sat on Mrs. Hodges chest and licked her face, Charlie and Nepeta had a play-fight on her legs and J.R. waited patiently by the door.
After Mrs. Hodges fed us, she forgot to close the gate to the laundry room. Martha snuck downstairs while Mrs. Hodges was typing this story. Martha ate all of the extra cat food and ran back upstairs before Mrs. Hodges could stop her.
So, as I said. Remember to close the gate. A gate only works if you use it properly.
All my best,
p.s. Mrs. Hodges bought this gate with her own money; nobody paid us to tell you we like the gate. Now, this is an affiliate link, but I promise you any pennies I make from you buying the gate here will be used to buy kitty litter. We have seven litter boxes.
As always, I love to hear from you. Click here to comment of just scroll to the bottom of the post if you are reading this live on my blog and not from your e-mail.
Would you like to read another cat story?
About Pooh Hodges
I have had a hard life. Born to a single mother in a back alley in Wisconsin. I never knew my father. My sister died young. I am writing my story. Look for it.